Recently we’ve been working on getting a few portfolio shots together to show potential clients what we can do. As part of this process we’ve joined forces with a couple of local businesses to showcase their products and services at the same time – which also gives our shoots a bit of focus and direction rather than just being self-assigned projects.
Layton came across a video tutorial today – a how to of smoke photography. We’ve done a couple of experiments with smoke photography before but nothing that really ‘worked’. This tutorial was a great motivation to give it another go.
Here are a couple of the results. We were particularly happy with the last one where the smoke billowed in the shape of a skull. Might have to give it another go to create some elements to use in our composite shots next year. Gotta love the holidays…time to muck round and try some stuff you don’t normally get the time to try.
Following on from our night shoot experiments we took Maggie out again during the day to try to experiment balancing ambient light in bright daylight. Here are the results of our experiment.
While researching how to do this we came across a great tutorial from Phlearn – I’ve already posted a link to the tutorial in a separate post. We based our experiments on trying to emulate the shots created during the tutorial with the thought that once we worked out what we were doing we could use that knowledge in our own shoots down the track.
Here is one of the images we took the other night while doing some experiments with lighting at night. Continue reading